ISO 45001:2018 specifies requirements for an Occupational Health and Safety ( OH&S ) management system and gives guidance for its use , to enable organisation to provide safe and healthy workplaces by preventing work related injury and ill health. ISO 45001: 2018 was published in March 2018. It also follows the high-level structure of other ISO standards like ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 which makes integration of these standards much easier.
It helps an organisation to attain the deliberated outcomes of its OH&S management system. The intended outcomes of an OH&S management system includes –
• Achievement of OH&S objectives
• Fulfilment of legal requirement
• Continuous improvement of occupational health and safety management performance ISO 45001 2018 can be used in the continual refinement in occupational health and safety management.
Moreover , the burden of occupation injuries and diseases is significant both for employees and the wider economy resulting in losses from early retirements , staff absence and rising insurance premiums. To combat this problem ISO developed a standard named ISO 45000 2018.
It helps organisations reduce this burden by providing a framework to improve employee safety , reduce work place risks and create a better safer working conditions all over the world. The main objective of ISO 45001 2018 is the reduction of occupational injuries and diseases. ISO 45001 is applicable to any organisation worldwide regardless of its size , type or nature.
Objective of ISO 45001: 2018-
This standard will provide a framework from which OHS ( Occupational Health and Safety) objectives can be effectively managed. For instance , it can serve the needs of those who manage , use or benefit from global supply chains . Just as ISO 9000 and ISO 14000 have provided consensus solutions to questions of quality management and environmental protection in the global marketplace , ISO 45001 will help drive solutions for improving worker safety across the globe.
Benefits of ISO 45001:2018.
• Positions your business as industry leaders
• Lowers insurance premiums
• Improves individual safety as well as organisational
• Preventative risk and hazard assessment
• Occupational focus
• Deals with risk and opportunities
• Helps in creating a global foundation
• Increases organisational resilience through proactive risk prevention and continuous improvement.
• Determining the hazards and OH&S risks associated with its activities , seeking to eliminate them , or putting in controls to minimise their potential effects Whether you are an employee, a manager or a business owner, you share a common goal – you don’t want anyone or yourself too to get hurt on the job. Improved efficiency stems from
ensuring people operate in workplaces that provide lucidity and build trust throughout their operation and supply chain. ISO 45001 is the new ISO standard for occupational health and safety (OH&S). It has become one of the most eagerly awaited standards in the world, and is set to rigorously improve levels of workplace safety.